The last few days have been involved with finishing the three book designs, 9 books in total in the Woven Silk part of ‘Stories from the Cloth’ project – I’m sure that there will be more ‘Stories’ but for the moment I am pleased that I have completed my initial task of the four stories and as a body of work I will take them to ‘Pages’ – the Leeds Artists’Book Fair at the beginning of March.

The weather has continued to be grey and the books are lining up to be photographed when it gets a little brighter – however I hope that the following images give an idea of what I have been doing.
This was the original print, with a curved edge. I used a toned down silver oil based ink to represent the silver threads in the cloth which have tarnished over the years

IMG_3251

 

The plate was then cut into strips and then folded and strips of coloured paper glued to the folds – this becomes the coloured spine edge.

 

IMG_3252

They are then cut into 6cm pages – each book has 4 sections of 8 pages and this totals 192cm of collagraph printed edges for each book.

 

IMG_3254

Then they are glued into their sections

IMG_3255
and finally fixed into the five pieces of covered grey board for the covers. Only a small amount of construction could be done each day, which probably plays its part in being pleased that the process is complete!

IMG_3258
I hope that in my next post there will be good images as that will also mean that we have had some sunshine!