I can imagine that many of you were underwhelmed by the scrap of fabric featured  in my last post, but hopefully you could see what potential I could see regarding its story.

During this last fortnight I have achieved the printing following on from the designs and I took photos of each stage for you to see and maybe comprehend what i saw in the scrap of cotton.

First I doodled a design into the size of the plate I wished to construct – also shows my research notes

IMG_3730

Then I formalised the design

IMG_3732

Then I began to plan which papers I would use

IMG_3737

Then to segment off the base layer

IMG_3738

Then to glue down the base layer papers to grey board- it was then placed under weights to dry for 24 hours

IMG_3741

Then the top detailing was applied and the holes (for the unpicked seams) were made

IMG_3747

The inked up plate ready to go though the etching press

IMG_3749

And finally, well apart from the book construction, 3 prints

IMG_3750

I have also spent a lovely week end in London and on the Saturday took part in the ‘Skills of the Huguenot Day’ in Spitalfields – it was most enjoyable with every visitor interested in my silk samples and books, there were lots of cough sweets eaten and it was definitely an early night!